Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Simply Oatstanding!

I must confess that among the bites I like for breakfast, oatmeal ranks at an all time low along with cornflakes and other cereals. During our childhood, I remember them being reserved for those days when mom did not have the time or inclination in her rushed morning to put together a cooked breakfast. Every mouthful was washed down with a swallow of coffee and the last couple of spoons went a-begging in the bowl. But this time, when I went to mom’s place for a brief spell, there was the dreaded oatmeal making an appearance after an eon. And suddenly, I was looking at it with different eyes. Somehow the look, the aroma and the texture seemed tempting enough to reach for it and savour the taste. What was different? I can’t say exactly. Maybe as I said earlier, I was eating it after ages. Maybe I no longer associated it with the early morning rush to get to school. Maybe I just appreciated mom’s cooking all the more, now that I know how tough it can be conjure up new dishes constantly. Well whatever the reason, this bowl of hearty porridge with its stick-to-the-ribs quality, made it the ideal breakfast on that wintry morning.

Oatmeal
(makes 1 bowl)

Ingredients

Quick cooking oats – ¼ cup
Milk – enough to soak the oats (more if you like it really wet)
Brown sugar – 2 tsp
Chopped banana – 3 tsp
Honey – to drizzle

Method

1. In a saucepan, combine the oatmeal with milk and 1 tsp sugar
2. Place over heat and boil till oatmeal is done
3. Sprinkle with chopped banana and remaining brown sugar
4. Drizzle honey on top
5. Enjoy!

There are many other topping options that you can play around with – chopped nuts, fruits of your choice, crushed wafer biscuits, and anything else that catches your fancy and tickles your creative buds

1 comment:

priya75 said...

yum! you really are a good writer -- you make oatmeal sound appetising! :)